2009-12-04

Pepparkakor (Swedish Gingerbread)

.

This is my sister-in-laws recipe for gingerbread cookies. They are incredibly light and crispy (especially when she makes them - I cannot understand how she can make them so thin and perfect every single time). They have a slightly different flavouring than the normal Swedish gingerbread - as these have only ginger and a touch of lemon. For a more 'true' version of Swedish gingerbread you can use the same recipe but omit the lemon oil and add 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of cloves (as I was googling recipes to find the *right* spices I found that the recipes tend to vary quite a bit - some have cardamon, some have cloves some have both. Pretty much all of them seamed to have ginger and cinnamon though. And to make things even more confusing the ratios between the different spices were not the same in all the recipes - I guess you just have to come up with your own favourite).

I make the dough the day before and then let it rest in the fridge for a day or two. This recipe yields around 250 cookies but I have successfully halved it some years. 250 cookies take quite some time to bake and it really makes too many for us to eat. My sister-in-law - aka. the queen of gingerbread - told me she usually doubles the recipes though!!!

To make them as thin as possible I like to use a non-stick or silicone rolling pin and the only way I managed to get them thin yet still keep their shape is to roll the dough out right on the non-stick baking sheet or sil-pat. Otherwise I find they always break or loose their shapes when I move them from the table and onto the baking sheet.

This is obviously a Swedish recipe that I've translated so all the original measurements were metric. The imperial measurements are rounded up/down to the closest 'normal' measurement - the difference wasn't too big though - we're talking one or two tablespoons up or down pretty much, don't think it should make too much of a difference. Or just do it metric style!

Ingredients:
~3/4 cup (200 ml) heavy cream
~2 cups (450 ml) dark brown sugar
~3/4 cup (200 ml) molasses
1 - 1½ Tbs ground ginger
1/4 tsp lemon oil (lemon essence)
1 Tbs baking soda
~5 cups (~1.2 L) all-purpose flour

Day 1: Whip the cream stiffly. Add dark brown sugar and molasses and stir for about 10 minutes. Add lemon oil, ginger, baking soda and most of the flour (4 ½ cup or 1 litre or so) and mix. It should make a rather stiff heavy dough. If necessary add a bit more flour. Wrap in plastic and let it rest in the fridge over night.

Day 2: Knead the dough on a slightly floured surface (or do what I do and use a sil-pat/teflon baking sheet). Take a small piece of the dough and roll out thinly (I like them really thin, like 1/10 inch or even thinner). If you don't have a non-stick surface to roll them out on make sure to use a lot of flour or they will stick to your surface. Cut out cookies using cookie cutters (not only do I want mine thin but I also prefer them rather small so I only use small cookie cutters, around 2 inches). Bake in 350F (175'C) for 5-10 minutes (depending on thickness, size and your oven). Let the cookies cool on the sheet before moving them. Be sure they are completely cool before putting them in a lidded cookie jar/box. Enjoy!


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar