2009-12-16

Deer feet

.
When I was planning my Christmas baking this year I asked J if he wanted me to bake anything special, maybe something from his family or a Christmas cookie I normally don't make and he immediately told me he wanted Deer feet. Apparently his grandmother used to bake these every year for Christmas. I emailed MIL and she was happy to send me the recipe.

Her instructions specifically said the cookies would spread in the oven so make sure not to make them too big. I'm not sure what I did wrong (if anything) but my cookies didn't spread at all! When the first batch came out of the oven I looked at something that mostly resembled a worm, not at all what they were supposed to look like. I baked mine on parchment paper (I tried baking them on ungreased cookie sheet as the instructions said and I didn't see any difference, no matter what method I used my cookies wouldn't spread at all).

Cookie fail or a worm?

The instructions also said to use a cookie press but that's when I ended up with the worm-shaped cookies. After testing a few methods I found the best one for me was to use a piping bag but without the tip. That way my cookies were 3/4 inch wide.

So they might have been a bit of a hassle but the end result was good and according to J they look and taste 'like they are supposed to'.
Source: J's grandmother

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
7 Tbs sugar
1 1/4 cup fine coconut

1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbs very strong coffee, cold
2 Tbs butter, soft

2 squares (60 g) semi-sweet chocolate

Directions:
Beat egg whites stiff, gradually add sugar while beating. Mixture should be very stiff. Fold in coconut gently using a spatula. Shape mixture into fingers using a cookie press/icing gun (or a piping bag), approx. 3 x 3/8 inches (8 x 1 cm). (According to MIL they will spread but like I said mine did NOT. I found 3 x 3/4 inches to be a better size. Maybe make just one first and test to see if yours spread?)

Bake on an UNGREASED cookie sheet in 375F (190 'C) for about 8 minutes. (supposedly they will slide all over the pan and make one big puddle if you grease it, I don't know since I never tried. Parchment paper worked fine for me)

Let cool mostly on the cookie sheet and then remove carefully with a metal spatula (they brake easily). Cool completely. Mix icing sugar, coffee and butter to make the filling. Place cookies in pairs with filling in between. Dip each end in melted chocolate.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar