2009-12-10

Shortbread

.
My mother can't bake at all even if her life depended on it. I remember with horror how every year in December she would try to bake some simple cookies for Christmas - it usually ended with her angry and cranky (we soon learned to stay away from home on bake days) and with the cookies looking like something the dog would have left behind. Somehow the apple seems to have fallen quite far from the tree since I do love to bake and the results are usually fairly good and needless to say my mother doesn't even attempt to bake anymore - the Christmas baking is now my job.


My mother's favourite cookies have always been shortbread (though she never even attempted to bake them herself) so a few years ago I decided to surprise her with some. I searched all over the internet to find a good recipe but finally settled for one on the BBC web page - I figured mom's favourite store bought shortbread are Scottish made and I wanted to get mine as close to the original as possible. That meant not chocolate, not nuts and no vanilla essence. Just butter, caster sugar and flour. The result? Double thumbs up from mom

from BBC

Ingredients:
4 oz (125 g) butter
2 oz (55 g) caster sugar
6 oz (180 g) plain flour

Directions:
Heat the oven to 375F (190 'C). Beat the butter and the sugar together until pale. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is ½ inch (1 cm) thick and use a cookie cutter or press into an 8 inch (20 cm) square pan and smooth and make pinpricks all over. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until pale golden. If using a pan let it cool for a few minutes and then with a knife cut out fingers (makes 12-24 depending on your preferred size). Cool on a wire rack.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar